Its no secret that we are big AeroPress fans here at Avatar Coffee Roasters. It is easy to use, extremely durable, compact and most importantly it can produce some truly exceptional cups of coffee.
In addition to brewing up strong, transparent cups, the recipe can be changed to be brewed over ice for a manual brewed iced coffee.
Our go-to iced AeroPress recipe is developed to be used with the Fellow Prismo attachment.
Coffee Dose: 20 grams
Grind Size: Setting 12 to 13 on the Baratza Encore (or 400 to 425 µm)
Water Dose: 100 milliliters + 120 grams of ice in the cup/decanter
Water Temp: 205°F
Brew Time: 3:30 steep plus an additional ~0:30 seconds to “press” the coffee (4:00 total)
Brew Mass: 195 grams
Target TDS: ~1.60%
Additional water can be added after brewing to produce a larger cup at lower concentrations. Dilute to your preference.
- Fill kettle with approximately 200 milliliters and bring to 205°F
- Weigh out 20 grams of whole bean coffee
- Grind coffee just before brewing
- Assemble Fellow Prismo attachment and metal filter
- Add AeroPress paper filter on top of Prismo mesh filter
- Attach Prismo pressure valve to AeroPress
- Pour a small amount of hot water into the AeroPress to rinse the filter and preheat the brewer.
- Discard hot water in AeroPress
- Place AeroPress on scale
- Pour ground coffee into the AeroPress after discarding rinse water
- Gently tap the side of the AeroPress to even out the settled coffee grounds
- Tare scale to zero
- Begin pouring water at 205°F and start the timer
- Pour 100 milliliters of water on top of coffee grounds
- Pour water in a spiral motion and down the sides of the AeroPress
- Stir coffee after pouring to ensure all coffee grounds are wet
- Carefully remove AeroPress from the scale
- Let steep for 3:30 minutes
- Prepare ice in your cup or decanter
- Position AeroPress on top of your cup or decanter filled with ice
- Slowly press the plunger for about 0:30 seconds until a “hiss” of air is heard.
- Discard spent coffee grounds and rinse brewer
- Adjust to taste
- Serve fresh and enjoy!