The Hario V60 is a versatile brewer that can bring out many nuances in a coffee. The V60 makes a clean, clear cup and is a classic representation of what pour-over coffee can taste like. Your own recipe can be easily modified depending on the coffee and your preference by manipulating 'pulses' while pouring. Combine with the Acaia Pearl scale and its accompanying app to track these pulses and water pour rate for ultimate recipe creation.
Some of us at Avatar Coffee have had our V60s for over 10 years! They have been tried and true brewing companions. Here is our starting recipe for any new coffee that we are attempting to brew.
Coffee Dose: 20 grams
Grind Size: Setting 13 to 15 on the Baratza Encore (or about 500 µm)
Water Dose: 320 milliliters
Water Temp: 205°F
Brew Time: 3:00 to 3:30 minutes
Brew Mass: ~280 grams
Target TDS: 1.20-1.30%
- Fill kettle with approximately 500 milliliters and bring to 205°F
- Weigh out 20 grams of whole bean coffee
- Grind coffee just before brewing
- Slightly fold over the creased portion of the filter and insert into the V60 cone
- Add V60 brewer on top of your mug or decanter
- Pour some hot water over the paper filter to rinse and pre-heat the brewer
- Discard rinse water from decanter or mug
- Pour ground coffee into rinsed filter
- Gently tap the side of the brewer to even out the settled coffee grounds
- Tare scale to zero
- Begin pouring water at 205°F and start timer
- Pour 50 milliliters of water on top of grounds to “bloom” the coffee. Ensure all coffee grounds are saturated with water
- Allow coffee to bloom for about 30 seconds, depending on freshness
- Resume pouring water in a spiral motion, ensuring all coffee grounds are evenly wetted
- Avoid pouring down the sides of the filter as this can cause clogging!
- Pour a total of 340 milliliters of water
- The total brew time should be 3:00 to 3:30 minutes. If your brews are slightly too fast, consider adding several pulses when pouring water. If your brews are too slow, you may need to grind coarser.
- Discard spent coffee grounds and rinse your V60 brewer
- Serve fresh and enjoy!