The AeroPress is one of our favorite coffee brewers for so many reasons. It is easy to use, extremely durable, compact and most importantly it can produce some truly exceptional cups of coffee.
Our go-to AeroPress recipe at Avatar Coffee Roasters is developed to be used with the Fellow Prismo attachment and is intended to deliver a strong cup packed with flavor.
Coffee Dose: 20 grams
Grind Size: Setting 12 to 13 on the Baratza Encore (or 400 to 425 µm)
Water Dose: 225 milliliters
Water Temp: 205°F
Brew Time: 3:30 steep plus an additional 0:30 seconds to “press” the coffee (4:00 total)
Brew Mass: 195 grams
Target TDS: ~1.60%
Additional water can be added after brewing to produce a larger cup at lower concentrations. Dilute to your preference.
- Fill kettle with approximately 300 milliliters and bring to 205°F
- Weigh out 20 grams of whole bean coffee
- Grind coffee just before brewing
- Assemble Fellow Prismo attachment and metal filter
- Add AeroPress paper filter on top of Prismo mesh filter
- Attach Prismo pressure valve to AeroPress
- Pour a small amount of hot water into the AeroPress to rinse the filter and preheat the brewer.
- Discard hot water in AeroPress
- Place AeroPress on scale
- Pour ground coffee into the AeroPress after discarding rinse water
- Gently tap the side of the AeroPress to even out the settled coffee grounds
- Tare scale to zero
- Begin pouring water at 205°F and start the timer
- Pour 225 milliliters of water on top of coffee grounds
- Pour water in a spiral motion and down the sides of the AeroPress
- Stir coffee after pouring to ensure all coffee grounds are wet
- Carefully remove AeroPress from the scale
- Let steep for 3:30 minutes
- Slowly press the plunger for about 0:30 seconds until a “hiss” of air is heard.
- Discard spent coffee grounds and rinse brewer
- Adjust to taste
- Serve fresh and enjoy!